OVPR Research Bridge Funding Match Program
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) Research Bridge Funding Match Program, in partnership with departments and schools/colleges, provides short-term support to maintain critical elements of currently funded, productive research programs when they are faced with a gap in financial support, until pending funding is received.
Bridge funding can only be provided for established programs confronted with a funding gap. PIs seeking support for new projects are encouraged to apply to OVPR initiatives like the Scholarship Facilitation Fund and the Research Excellence Program. PIs seeking support for commercializing projects should apply for the SPARK Technology Commercialization Fund.
As a “match” program, OVPR bridge funds are intended to be the last piece of a funding plan that includes commitments from other sources, usually the PI’s IDC funds and support from departments, school/colleges, and centers/institutes totaling at least two-thirds of the total amount of the requested funding. The OVPR program will only consider funding requests for no more than one-third of the total amount needed by the PI. Please note that budget limits may restrict the OVPR’s ability to fund (or fully fund) every request received.
- The OVPR Research Bridge Funding Match Program is open to faculty based at the Storrs/Regional Campuses. Faculty at UConn Health may apply to UCH Emergency Grant Program.
- In order to be eligible for OVPR bridge funding, PIs must first secure the support of their department/center/institute and school/college.
- As PI salary is excluded from this program, faculty who are dependent on grant support for their salary are not eligible to participate.
- The project must contain elements that require maintenance in order for the program to continue once external funding is restored (e.g. the retention of key personnel such as postdocs and technicians and the maintenance of key resources such as animal care). Applications will not be considered for projects that do not contain such elements.
- Bridge funding is typically limited to one year. If additional time is necessary, PIs must reapply at the end of the funding period.
- PIs who are exploring bridge funding must begin in the PI’s home department/institute/school/college. Please follow any processes established by your school/college for requesting bridge funding.
- Once commitments for at least two-thirds of the requested budget have been secured, the PI can request that his/her dean seek the remaining funds from the OVPR.
- OVPR bridge funding requests can only be initiated by the dean of the PI’s school/college. Requests submitted directly by PIs will not be considered.
- Deans may send their request directly to Associate Vice President for Research Michelle Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org). Requests should identify the PI seeking funding, provide a justification for the request (e.g., overview of funding history, plan for securing external funding, and specific funding need during the bridge period), and should provide a basic breakdown of the funding commitments that have been secured.
- Once the dean’s request has been received, the OVPR may reach out to the PI for additional materials.
If you have questions about whether your project is eligible for the OVPR Research Bridge Funding Program support, please contact Associate Vice President for Research, Michelle Williams at email@example.com or 860.486.3001.
If you have questions about the application process, the materials needed, or regarding a funded request, please contact Dr. Matt Mroz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860.486.6378.