UConn has designated BRANY IRB as its IRB for externally funded research and certain multisite studies. BRANY IRB is an independent IRB that is not affiliated with UConn. For BRANY IRB-reviewed studies, the UConn study team completes the submission to BRANY IRB through the IRB Manager online submission system and BRANY IRB conducts the ethical review on behalf of UConn. Study teams must also submit a cede application to the UConn IRB so that UConn can track the research conducted at UConn and ensure all local requirements are met.
Studies that will be reviewed by BRANY IRB:
- Externally Funded Research
- Human subjects research that has external funding support (e.g., grant, contract, foundation). This applies to exempt, expedited, and convened (a.k.a. full) review types. This also includes externally funded multisite research and research involving external investigators or staff; OR
- Multisite Research/External Investigators
- Studies that involve more than 2 external sites or external investigators/staff for which single IRB (by UConn/BRANY) is being requested. This applies to externally funded, internally funded, and unfunded research. PLEASE NOTE: This refers to collaborating researchers/study personnel, not facilities that may be sites where research activities occur.
BRANY Submission Process
- Review the Determine Eligibility for BRANY IRB Review and External IRB Guidelines documents to confirm your project qualifies for BRANY IRB review
- Review the UConn/BRANY Process Overview for detailed instructions for creating a BRANY IRB submission
- Submit the documents required for UConn local context review to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once local approvals are complete, submit the complete BRANY IRB application package to BRANY IRB.
UConn IRB’s role in BRANY IRB-reviewed studies
UConn IRB will verify that all local institutional requirements are met via a local submission, including:
- study team training requirements
- ancillary reviews
BRANY IRB Review Contacts
|UConn IRB Relianceemail@example.com|
|BRANY IRB Contact||Vanessa Rodriguezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
BRANY IRB Template Documents
BRANY IRB Manager Training Information: https://www.brany.com/irb-manager/
BRANY IRB Information Session, Webex meeting recording, September 7, 2023, Recording link: https://uconn-cmr.webex.com/uconn-cmr/ldr.php?RCID=3c01e1d20454e090f1ec7a1f20768ce4
- What is meant by “External Site?”
- This refers to collaborating researchers/study personnel, not facilities that may be sites where research activities occur. This does not mean a site/location where UConn researchers may be conducting research activities.
- What are BRANY IRB review turnaround times?
- Please contact Vanessa Rodriguez, BRANY IRB’s liaison with UConn, for information on BRANY turnaround times.
- How quickly will UConn’s Reliance Team review a request to cede IRB review to BRANY?
- IRB Reliance will work to review cede requests within one week of receipt.