On December 26, 2013, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) issued the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (also known as the “Uniform Guidance” or 2 CFR 200). The Uniform Guidance consolidates, streamlines and supersedes the eight existing OMB Circulars including Circular A-21, A-110, and A-133. Included in this new guidance are definitions, uniform administrative requirements (preaward & postaward), cost principles and audit requirements. The new guidance, which will affect all federally funded grants and contracts, will take effect on December 26, 2014.
In response to this release the University of Connecticut has set up a University-wide Uniform Guidance Task Force spanning both the Storrs and Farmington campuses. The Task Force includes representatives from central administration and various UConn departments active in research to coordinate the implementation of the Uniform Guidance. Among the Task Force’s goals is to keep the UConn community informed about the changes that will affect PIs, researchers, department administrators and others involved with sponsored projects. This webpage will provide updated information specific to Uniform Guidance implementation and will post new material once it becomes available.
Navigating the Uniform Guidance
The Uniform Guidance is broken down into the following subparts:
Part I – Objectives
Part II – Major Policy Reforms
Subpart A (200.0 – 200.99) – Acronyms and Definitions
Subpart B (100.200 – 200.113) – General Provisions
Subpart C (200.200 – 200.211) – Preaward Requirements
Subpart D (200.300 – 200.345) – Postaward Requirements
Subpart E (200.400 – 200.475) – Cost Principles
Subpart F* (200.500 – 200.521) – Audit Requirements
*Subpart F will apply to university audits beginning the fiscal year starting after the Uniform Guidance takes effect on December 26, 2014 (July 1, 2015).
Revisions to the Uniform Guidance can be found at the Federal Register Guidance for Grants and Agreements-February 22, 2021
What is UConn Doing to Implement the Uniform Guidance?
In preparation for the December 26, 2014 implementation date, UConn (all campuses) have created a subcommittee to review and catalog changes that may be required due to the new Uniform Guidance.
The group is responsible for determining the impact of the new regulations to existing policy and process, creating new training materials and revising policies where needed, and ensuring broad and effective communication strategies.
- PowerPoint Slides
- Implementation Guide for Principal Investigators and Department Administrators and Coverletter
- Subaward Determination Guidance
- Federal Cost Principles Training
Uniform Guidance Timeline
- Council on Financial Assistance Reform (COFAR)
- Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP)
- Council on Governmental Relations (COGR)
- COGR Version 1 response to Uniform Guidance (April 24, 2014)
- COGR Version 2 Guide to OMB Uniform Guidance (September 17, 2014)
- COGR Implementation and Readiness Guide for the OMB Uniform Guidance (December 12, 2014)
- COGR Implementation and Readiness Guide for the OMB Uniform Guidance (November 17, 2020)
- Federal Register
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- National Institute of Health (NIH)
- Department of Education