The Office of the Vice President for Research at the University of Connecticut is seeking a highly dynamic, creative, and driven professional to assist in the management of an institutional initiative in Stamford, CT focused on data science. The UConn Data Science Initiative revolves around the establishment of a data science tech incubator, the hiring of data science research faculty, and the creation of a year-long entrepreneurial co-op opportunity for undergraduate students. The Program Coordinator (Education Program Coordinator) will be a self-starting, team player, motivated to contribute novel and fresh ideas to grow each dimension of the initiative in a manner that supports the institution, the region, and the overall economic development of the State.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting with various logistical and administrative duties related to the UConn Data Science Initiative (purchasing, hiring, scheduling, travel, etc.).
- Supporting the marketing and communications objectives of the initiative (including the management of the social media campaign, design and copy for various print/digital promotional materials, etc).
- Working with the executive director of the initiative to develop a sustainable budgetary model and plan for growth/expansion of the initiative.
- Assisting with the creation of quarterly written reports delineating progress and milestone achievements of the initiative.
- Maintaining an accurate system for billing tenants of the data science incubator (including keeping track of rates, sending invoices, collecting payment, etc.)
- Supporting the recruitment efforts of the initiative (assisting with the identification of, and communication with, prospective incubator tenants as well as potential data science faculty).
- Providing strategic analytics around data science in the region and working to develop an action plan for establishing new partnerships.
- Working with financial staff to maintain oversight on project budgets and developing budgetary projections.
- Creating a series of technical and social events to build community among the occupants of the data science initiative space.
- Overseeing student employees (including hiring and determining work assignments/schedules).
- Assisting data science faculty in the identification of potential funding opportunities from the public and private sectors.
- Serving as a point of contact for data science initiative inquiries.
- Other related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate/related subject matter.
- At least 4 years of related experience, demonstrating considerable knowledge of administrative methods and program support in the area(s) of marketing, industry relations, technology commercialization, startup venture development, or comparable areas.
- Superior verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Superior organizational skills and follow-through.
- Superior accuracy and attention to formatting and detail.
- Evidence of creative, out-of-the-box, thinking.
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information into concise analytical reports.
- Experience with event planning and management and/or managing a complex calendar or schedule of activities.
- Demonstrated experience developing program support materials (both web and print), graphics, and using social media platforms for outreach and communications.
- Willingness and ability to carry out job responsibilities in Stamford and occasionally at the Storrs and Farmington locations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite software, but more importantly, online technology tools aimed at improving productivity and efficiency.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include evenings and weekends, as required by programming.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise a high degree of professional discretion and confidentiality in communicating with executives and officials across a variety of industries in the public and/or private sectors.
- Graduate degree in an appropriate discipline.
- Experience working in data science.
- Experience working in the fintech and/or digital media industries.
- Experience developing public/private partnerships.
- Hands-on experience working with or within universities.
- Experience implementing design thinking with a general ability to bridge design, communication, and technology.
- Experience simultaneously managing complex programs and budgets.
This is a one-year, full-time, grant-funded, annually renewable position. Salary in the high $60’s. The University offers an excellent benefits package including medical and retirement, as well as employee and dependent tuition reimbursement at the University of Connecticut (outlined here: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/). Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled, with a target start date of as soon as possible.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #494735 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is currently scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on September 28, 2020.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.