Application Details – Period, Process & Required Materials:
Applications accepted year-round; Need to submit CV/resume and a cover letter discussing relevant education, experience, and interest in the program.
Eligible Class Standings & Minimum GPA:
Current UConn students (Master’s level preferred)
Credit, Compensation & Hours:
Potential for Interns to receive up to 3 credits if they choose; Hourly Compensation will be provided (undergraduates $16.50/Hr and masters and above $18/Hr); Availability for ~10 Hours/Week in Fall/Spring semesters, with potential for increased hours in the Summer; ability to make a minimum two semester time commitment, one year time commitment preferred.
Description of Internship Site:
The intenship takes place within UConn’s Office of the Vice President for Research Technology Commercialization Services (TCS) group. TCS’s goal is to faciliate the transition of UConn discoveries into products and services that benefit patients, industry and society. The Tech Transfer team within TCS aids these commercialization efforts by supporting the assessment, intellectual property protection, marketing, and licensing of UConn inventions.
Internship Site Website:
Description of Internship Position:
The Internship Program is designed to provide tangible experiences for students interested in learning more about technology commercialization while supporting TCS’ activities and initiatives, including:
- Invention Assessments – Commercial analysis of new inventions
- Technology Briefs – Non-confidential technology summary used for passive and active external marketing
- Marketing Campaigns –Identification of target companies and points of contact interested in licensing and/or sponsored research, conduct email campaigns, and post technologies on various promotion platforms
- Other Ad-hoc activities based upon business need
Benefits to Interns:
Interns will have the opportunity to learn about a wide range of technologies while gaining experience in marketing various technologies in specific markets.
Interns will be responsible for understanding the assigned technologies, completing market research, finding points of contact and reaching out to companies. Interns will typically work remotely for approximately 10 hours a week and may occasionally meet in person for meetings/events as circumstances permit. Interns will gain communication and marketing skills as well as have the opportunity to help play a role in bringing technologies to market. Interns will also have the chance to learn about technology transfer, intellectual property, licensing and patents. Finally, Interns will have the opportunity to sit in on decision making meetings, attend internal and external educational and career development seminars and webinars, and reflect with fellow interns about their experience.
Additional Important Details:
A background in life sciences, physical sciences, engineering, or related technical field. Additional experience in business, entrepreneurship, or marketing would be beneficial.
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong scientific/technical background
- Dedicated interest in technology commercialization
- Ability to research complex concepts in a wide variety of disciplines and to create non-confidential technology/marketing summaries for general audiences
- Self-motivated, good time management, dependable
- Ability to work independently and handle confidential material
Successful candidates will be required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement.
Employment of a successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
For More Information, Contact: